The rule in disasters is to be self-reliant. Act as if no help is coming.
So the entire family must have sufficient supply of food, water, clothing, medicines and other supplies that can last for at least 3 days.
The Family Survival Kit should be situated where every household member would have easy access to it. Make sure to inform everybody of its location.
The Family Survival Kit should include the following:
1. It is recommended that the minimum demand of one person is 2 liters of drinking water per day.
2. Buy bottles of mineral or distilled water that are sealed; do not open these until they are about to be used.
3. If you are planning to store drinking water, make sure you thoroughly clean water containers with dishwashing soap and water. Make sure to rinse properly to take away residual soap before storing water
4. For water that has been commercially treated with chlorine, no need to add anything to make it clean. If the water to be stored will come from a deep well, boil first for 10 minutes before using or put chlorine tablets.
5. Close the container tightly. Label the container as to when you filled it. Make sure you replace the water every six months.
1. Stock canned goods and food stuff that do not need refrigeration, cooking, water or special preparation.
2. Make sure to prepare food for members of the family who need to observe special diets.
1. Depends on the climate in your area, pack just one or two dry shirts, undergarments and shorts or pants per day. Make sure to wrap clothes inside a plastic bag to keep them dry.
2. Pack shoes with rubber soles, slippers
3. Pack items for infants, such as formula, diapers, bottles and pacifiers.
OTHER ITEMS TO INCLUDE:
1. A first aid kit containing a surgical mask and sterile gloves, bandages, antiseptics, cotton, gauze, paracetamols, salbutamol, diphenhydramine, antihistamines, amoxicillin and oral rehydrating salts.
2. Sanitary items like napkins, toilet paper, soap, etc.
3. A flashlight with extra batteries
4. A battery-powered transistor radio with spare batteries.
6. Photocopies of your important documents.
8. A can opener, cooking utensils.
9. A whistle.
10. A mosquito net and blankets.